WorkSafe Codes and Guidance Programme
Code and guidance development requires the following process:
- WorkSafe New Zealand develops a working draft for initial review
- MinEx and WorkSafe establish industry groups for the review of technical content
- WorkSafe finalises a document based on review outcomes
- WorkSafe releases the document for formal industry-wide consultation
- Ministerial approval of document (for an Approved Code of Practice)
- WorkSafe releases document.
These documents have been released by WorkSafe New Zealand
- Health and Safety at Opencast Mines, Alluvial Mines and Quarries (Good Practice Guide)
- Air Quality in the Extractives Industry (Approved Code of Practice)
- Emergency Preparedness in Mining and Tunnelling Operations (Approved Code of Practice)
- Ground or Strata Instability in Underground Mines and Tunnels (Approved Code of Practice)
- Ventilation in Undergound Mines and Tunnels (Approved Code of Practice)
- Fire or Explosion in Underground Mines and Tunnels (Approved Code of Practice)
- Developing a Ground or Strata Instability Principal Hazard Management Plan (Guide)
- Electricity in Underground Mines and Tunnels (Guide)
- Managing Health Risks in the Extractives Industry (Quick Guide)
- Preventing Manual Handling Injuries (Approved Code of Practice)
- Exposure monitoring under the HSWA (General Risk and Workplace management Regulations 2016 (Fact Sheet)
- General Risk and Workplace Management (Part 1 Interpretive Guidelines)
- General Risk and Workplace Management (Part 2 Interpretive Guidelines).
- Introduction to the HSWA 2015 (Special Guide)
- Worker Engagement, Participation and Representation (Good Practice Guidelines)
- Workplace Exposure Standards and Biological Exposure Indicies (Special Guide).
Other useful documents and guidelines
- ERMA COP Approved Handler Certificates Explosives
- Bad vibrations handbook on whole-body vibration exposure.
Work on additional codes from WorkSafe is underway. This includes:
- Spontaneous Combustion
- Inundation and Inrush
The following codes are yet to be scheduled:
- Mechanical Engineering
- Gas Outbursts
- Mine Shafts and Winding Systems
- Roads and Other Vehicle Operating Areas
- Tips, Ponds and Voids.